Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ear tubes

I know many of you have had tubes in your ears or your kids have had them, but have you had to get them removed because they would not fall out? Well that’s what we had to do with Jayden Grace.

The tubes were put in when she was 15 months old and one fell out a long time ago. However the one in her right ear just did not want to come out and it ended up getting a growth over it so we had to take her in. Getting the tubes in was an easy task; in fact we talk about how cute she was in her gown and diaper. Getting the tub taken out at the age of 7¾ brings along some strong emotions.

Jayden did pretty well until we got her back in the room where the nurses were, that is where the tears and the worries started. Although she was pretty strong about it she was not are normal Jaydie Grace, and we could see the definite worry on her face. I managed to get some laughs out of her when I put on the gown, booties and the hat they give you. Of course I let Jayden take a picture and let Stacy post it on facebook.

I was able to go back to the operating room with her to help keep her somewhat relaxed. I was there until she went to sleep, and if you have never been there when your child is being put to sleep with the gas, it is a little nerve raking. They warned me that she would start to move around a little just before she went all the way out, but let me tell you it was more than a little moving. It took two nurses and I to hold her while the other kept the mask on her, it was the craziest thing I have seen. I said after words that it was a good thing I went back and not her mom.

Anyway, after just a short wait the doctor came out and told she did great and her ear was pretty goopy but all clear now. The pager went off just a few minutes later and we got to go back to see her. Needless to say she was happy to see us. She told us that she was a little scarred when she woke up and we were not there, but then she started talking about the bubble gum smelling mask she had on and then she was here. She was pretty funny after words.

So things went great and Jayden is doing fine. I know it was just a minor surgery but in my opinion any time your child is being put under anesthesia it gives you reason for concern. I tried not to worry and trust that the doctors know what they are doing but at the same time it is our jobs as parents to worry about our kids. Hopefully we will only have to worry about the small minor surgeries for our kids and not anything big but whatever live brings our kids we will be there to worry because that is our job. However, my job is too hid as much of the worry as possible because I am supposed to be Big Poppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment