Saturday, December 3, 2011

Little Stinker

So my dad, TJ and I took our trip to the UP for our hunting trip, and as I have said before we camp in a tent. We had a good trip with lots of snow and some good times. Unfortunately we came home empty handed but we did come home with a fun story.

The first night up there we went into town to get our water and decided to have dinner while we there. TJ did not eat all of his chicken so he brought the rest back to camp and sat it on the cooler. That night a few minutes after dad shut the generator off and came to bed we heard something rustling around. Dad and I had our flashlights out looking all over the inside of the tent but we did not see anything and now we didn’t hear anything either, so we went to sleep.

The next morning, the day before opening day, we were talking about the noise and trying to figure out what it was. I started looking around and I saw some small tracks in the little bit of snow we had but we didn’t know what made them. I then looked and realized that the chicken was gone, Styrofoam and all!! I did find the container in the woods a little bit later by a hole in the ground but thought nothing of it. We just laughed and made jokes about it.

Fast-forward two nights, and again just a few minutes after the generator went off Dad and I heard a noise again. This time I seen the door flap to our tent moving and I told dad that something was trying to get in. We got up and smacked the flap and slowly opened it. We saw the critter going into the woods across from out tent and Dad said that it looked like a skunk. So we put some coolers and things on the flap to keep the critter out and went back to bed.

A couple hours later I heard something again but this time I am the only one that heard it. I turn on my flashlight and start shinning around the flap and under the table and then finally by the wood burner. That is when I saw it, the little stinker was in out tent!!! I said “oh s#$t its in our tent!” Needless to say dad and TJ both woke up and the reaction from TJ was priceless, I thought he might have pissed himself.

So anyway here we were, three grown men afraid to make any sudden moves because we did not want to get sprayed. I don’t know how it got in but it could not get out. After a few minutes TJ slipped out under the tent and went around to open the door and with some careful noises to scare the skunk he finally went out. The next day we put a rock on its hole and then it snowed about a foot so we did not see it again.

It is my opinion that when on a hunting trip or camping of any kind, don’t leave food out to call in nature. We escaped a what could have been a very bad, very stinky situation and now we are laughing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment